View from Oban Bothy

View from Oban Bothy

Monday 25 May 2020

TGOC2020….virtually the second bit

Days 4 and 5 of my virtually virtual Challenge: 

The bunkhouse at the Tomdoun Hotel wasn't the most comfortable, but it was clean(ish) and it had a shower. 




Leaving on a chilly but bright and dry morning, Day 4's route wasn't particularly inspiring, mostly road walking to Invergarry for chips and beer. 

It was here, in the Invergarry Hotel Bar, that I met Bernie, Billy-Whizz and others for the first time. Was Pauline Marshall there? And Trudie Buttrick? Probably.


I let slip that I was aiming to be at Melgarve the next day.... and The Famous Secret Ceilidh. My fate was now sealed, there was no escape. I was kidnapped, taken to Glen Buck Bothy for a night of great fun, then onto Melgarve the next day, guided by Billy-Whizz. 


 Glen Buck Bothy

Kidnapped:





We stopped at Luib Chonnal Bothy for lunch out of the mizzle. In the bothy someone opened a tin of Heinz Beanz with Pork Sausages....I'm surprised that person got out alive! The smell was delicious....now that's something I thought I'd never say! 

The Melgarve bash was amazing. Terry Leyland had arranged for my melodeon to be transported to the bothy, Waggy's concertina too. 

I met so many 'famous' names, including Di Gerrard, Denis, Nev and Anne, Terry Leyland, Trudie Buttrick, Waggy... I'm told I really enjoyed myself - lots of great conversation, singing, music, food....and maybe the odd beer. Or rather more.



Next day, in the aftermath, we headed East (East is good) in the company of Nev & Anne. Nev was another who carried a huge pack – I was beginning to feel slightly less self-concious.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent. I hope you can keep going with that heavy load...

    ReplyDelete

Tally-Ho! Whitworth Wander / Turkey Trot 2023

  Whitworth Wander – Turkey Trot, 27 th of a very wet December 2023 In memory of the late Brian Whitworth, a fine man, my friend, and a for...