View from Oban Bothy

View from Oban Bothy

Wednesday 13 May 2020

Blogger, LiveWriter and OpenLiveWriter.

I strongly suspect that work on OpenLiveWriter has stopped. I downloaded the most recent release which has supposedly fixed the problems encountered when trying to post photographs - it doesn't work, not for me anyway. Text only posts work fine, the brick wall appears when photographs are included in a post.  Things are very quiet on the OpenLiveWriter Twitter and Facebook pages, there's very little activity which more or less confirms my suspicions. I'm guessing that a major reason for this is because Google ultimately want to shut down Blogger (because they don't make any money out of it?) and they're making it more difficult to post. The original LiveWriter, a Microsoft product, provided an easy and very effective way of posting to blogs but Google, who control Blogger, appear to have moved the goalposts which effectively stopped full access via LiveWriter. Microsoft have since withdrawn LiveWriter which led to OpenLivewriter which is Open Source - although apparently still under the umbrella of Microsoft. OpenLiveWriter seemed to work for a while, but it wasn't long before it's access to Blogger was also blocked. Searching the web has uncovered a number of instances where it's been claimed that the problem has been sorted - but they're all beyond my limited technical ability. I'm happy to be corrected in my assumptions, but having spent a long time running round in circles I'm going to take some convincing. Anyroadup, here are a few photos from my first TGO Challenge, 2004.

Update:
This was originally posted using Blogger.
I then opened OpenLiveWriter and selected ‘Open Recent Post’ to open this post.
I then changed the font and font size before updating.
This seems to have been successful. So far.

Update 2:
Although the photos are visible on MY computer, others can’t see them….well Martin can’t.
I realised the album I took the photos from was private, I’ve now changed that to public….let’s see.
Update 3:
Maybe not...





9 comments:

  1. Can't see your pictures JJ. Feel free to call me for a 'walk-through' on how to use the Blogger software without too many problems.
    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi JJ, I can't see your photos either on my phone or on my laptop in Microsoft Edge browser. I started a blog using Blogger over the lockdown but my photos started disappearing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matthew.
      Blogger has certainly become user-unfriendly of late.
      I've just had a long chat with Martin (Postcard from Timperley), we've been comparing notes. He has had a fair degree of success, I'll write up what he does and I'll let you have a copy.

      Delete
  3. That happened to me.
    It removed randomly images from about 5 posts. All ones done recently.
    I put them back, but it took me ages. Especially trying to remember what they were. And redoing the bloody captions too. 🙆‍♂️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh... And I can't see the pictures either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting. I've been adding images from various folders using the 'Insert image' icon on the Blogger 'Post' composition screen and I'm not aware of any of them having disappeared. No! actually a couple did disappear but they were easily replaced. I really don't want to have to go through everything to check, though.
    One day (soon?) someone is going to make a lot of money helping us all to migrate to Wordpress!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A small point, but if copying and pasting a word document into Blogger, I find a lot of problems are avoided by clicking on the 'Format' tab then 'Styles and formatting', then 'Clear formatting'. Then you should be able to apply styles, fonts and sizes from the limited Blogger menu without getting caught out by any embedded formatting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see the pics John, have you changed something in the last few hours?

    ReplyDelete

Tally-Ho! Whitworth Wander / Turkey Trot 2023

  Whitworth Wander – Turkey Trot, 27 th of a very wet December 2023 In memory of the late Brian Whitworth, a fine man, my friend, and a for...