View from Oban Bothy

View from Oban Bothy

Wednesday 9 March 2016

LEJOG, Oh the wind and rain

P1060215 - CopyP1060203 - Copy

P1060205 - Copy

P1060213 - CopyP1060218 - Copy

P1060223 - Copy

P1060222 - Copy

P1060221 - Copy

 

It was definitely a good move to stay at Penzance YHA last night. This morning the roads were littered with bits of tree and other detritus. Aktos are very good but last night's storms would certainly have tested it's mettle.

At 10am the winds were still far too strong to cycle, forget about cycling safely. So strong were the gusts that it was difficult to stand at times.

I went with Plan B: bus to Lands End and walk back to Penzance. To avoid camera shake from the wind (did I mention the strong wind?) I took photographs with my camera set to 'Sports Mode' ie: a fast shutter speed.

At Lands End the sea was quite spectacular, waves were crashing like nobody's business. A light aircraft flew over, it seemed to be almost travelling sideways - I'm rather pleased that I wasn't on board.

There were a few people tottering around Lands End itself but nobody was following the SWCP, opting instead for the safer inland footpaths and roads.

I was keen to visit the Telegraph Museum at Porthcurno, I quite fancied a play with their radio station - although I hadn't thought to bring my Amateur Radio Licence with me.....doh.

Unfortunately the museum was closed, shut, and not open either. That was the end of that then.

Never mind, a pint in the pub opposite would be reasonable consolation... well it would have been had it been open. Ho hum.

The beach at Porthcurno was quite beautiful, bathed in sunshine but whipped by an icy gale....there's that wind again.

The rest of the walk back was unremarkable, mainly because I was following minor roads. I've walked the coastal path before and that would have been a far more attractive proposition - had it not been for the wind.

I arrived back in Penzance around mid afternoon (I'd forgotten how lumpy Cornwall was) and still blowing an ice-cold hoolie.

Plan B rev1.0: head to Wetherspoon's, drink coffee and eat cake (twurly for a beer, even for me) and review my position.

The review resulted in Plan B rev1.1: stay another night in Penzance and head off early in the morning. I'm behind schedule but it matters not - as long as I'm home in good time to play a ceilidh on 19th March.

So that's it, 10 miles covered and around 40 miles behind schedule - but plenty of opportunity to catch up.

There are some rather poor photographs included - apart from a close-up of Longships Lighthouse, a mile or so off Lands End. That photograph came from Geograph, via Wikipedia.

10 comments:

  1. Fantabulous stuff John

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's probably no consolation to you that the strong northerly very much helped our MPG stats when driving home today...

    Hope you get some excellent cycling conditions any moment now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope it's a better day tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The weather is forecast to be better in next few days.
    Hope so, I'm off to the Carnedd with Carl & Lynsey on Fri.

    ReplyDelete
  5. On the next to last day (57) of my round Wales walk I got to Plan D. It gave me one of the best nights of the trip sleeping in a tepee and having a huge wood fire outside. Looking forward to our further adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can cope John, it's just weather and your a hardy northerner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, the seagulls were flying backwards then?
    Enjoy the pasties, you know you need the calories...

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOOOhhh, yes, tatty oggies! You cannot go wrong with one of those John.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The weather looks good in your photos! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was dry and bright during the daylight hours - but bloody freezing and blowing a hoolie. I couldn't hold the camera still to take photographs, it had to be held against a solid object otherwise the photos would have been blighted with even more camera shake. That night and the previous night the rain just poured down.

      Delete

Tally-Ho! Whitworth Wander / Turkey Trot 2023

  Whitworth Wander – Turkey Trot, 27 th of a very wet December 2023 In memory of the late Brian Whitworth, a fine man, my friend, and a for...