View from Oban Bothy

View from Oban Bothy

Tuesday 8 March 2016

LEJOG, In the beginning....

At Navigation Road Station, Timperley

A long day involving a bit of cycling and lots of trains (4) saw my arrival in Penzance at 18.04 precisely.

This evening's Plan was to cycle to Lands End and stealth camp but the weather has worsened..... and it's going to get worsener still overnight, with 55-60mph winds and heavy rain forecast.

Quincyquontly I've booked into Penzance YHA for the night. The forecast isn't brilliant for tomorrow so Plan B is to go to Lands End by bus and walk back to the hostel, it's only around 10 miles so I should be back at the hostel by around 1pm. I'll jump back on the bike and pedal off into the East.

Being as wot the wind will be from the West, and that I'll be travelling East I should be able to get a good few miles in before tea-time.... I might be a bit soggy and damp though.

I was going to hit the local Wetherspoons but I'll try to support the YHA by drinking some of their beers. The YHA is a charity after all, and charities should be supported.

12 comments:

  1. I do like "Quincyquontly"...I had rain for the first morning of LEJOG, and some strong winds. Hope all goes well and may the wind be at your back. All the best. Christine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quincyquontly is a Goonerism, Grytpype-Thynne I think :-)
      I don't mind the rain so much but combined with the wind, which is, er, very windy makes it all a bit grim. Under canvas tomorrow though!

      Delete
  2. I do like "Quincyquontly"...I had rain for the first morning of LEJOG, and some strong winds. Hope all goes well and may the wind be at your back. All the best. Christine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, don't have any upsidents. With a following wind at 55 mph, you should be in Dover by Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck. I hope you will be able to keep posting along the way. Are you following main roads, or trying to use cycle tracks and country lanes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to keep to cycle tracks, bridleways and quiet lanes as much as is practical - I don't relish the company of HGVs! Inevitably there will be times when I have to use busy roads but I want to keep them to a minimum.

      Delete
    2. I'm going to keep to cycle tracks, bridleways and quiet lanes as much as is practical - I don't relish the company of HGVs! Inevitably there will be times when I have to use busy roads but I want to keep them to a minimum.

      Delete
  5. YHA is sensible option mon amis.
    There are times to wild camp, and times to be inside.
    If they could make a decent UL brick tent I'd get one.

    Le Jog by any method is hard.

    Have a good one and be safe ☺

    ReplyDelete
  6. Splendiferous John! keep posting, there are many folk awaiting your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the best JJ.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susie18:25

    Bazzing. May the zephyrs be ever at your back. Early night, now. Looking forward to your adventures: trapped here, I shall explore through you. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry the wind has been so high, John. Great blog. Seeing your photo of the NT sign at Portcurno reminds me what a good tip you gave me to photograph similar signs on the SWCP so as to help identify photos later. Enjoy the ride, once you get on the bike, and hope you get back for the ceilidh on 19 March.

    ReplyDelete

Tally-Ho! Whitworth Wander / Turkey Trot 2023

  Whitworth Wander – Turkey Trot, 27 th of a very wet December 2023 In memory of the late Brian Whitworth, a fine man, my friend, and a for...