View from Oban Bothy

View from Oban Bothy

Tuesday 15 March 2016

Lands End to Timperley, Tewkesbury to Ironbridge

Tewkesbury promised a luxury night at a real campsite - hot showers, nice flat grass, drinking water that didn't need filtering...sheer heaven.

Well it would have been had the campsite been open, the campsite staff were adamant that I couldn't camp. This was serious, I was really quite knackered  - and cold. I'd been running on empty for the last few miles and I needed food inside me.

I must have looked as exhausted as I felt, eventually the campsite staff took pity on me and allowed me to camp. Facilities were limited but a loo, washroom (with oodles of hot water) were made available - and the grass was smooth. I'm extremely grateful to the staff, they'll never know - one condition of staying was that I needed to be away very early next morning, and I was.

First stop was Wetherspoon's for a decent breakfast with oodles of Lavazza filter coffee. Suitably refueled, and with a route in mind, I pedalled off towards the dark and dismal badlands of The North.

My plan was to keep to quiet lanes as much as possible but sections of major roads were quite unavoidable. Target destination for the day was Ironbridge YHA, although if I didn't get that far I had a couple of quiet campsites in mind - campsites that I knew were open ☺

Highlights of the day's ride: the English countryside, the quite lanes, sunshine, exploring Worcester, Kidderminster and Bridgnorth, glorious views of the Malverns...and much more.

The not-so-good bits: the strong and cold breeze, some damned big hills (that always seemed to be UPHILL), bits of unpleasantly busy main road.

6 comments:

  1. Well done to the Staff of Tewksbury campsite. Tears from a grown man usually offends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you made Ironbridge YHA. I have stayed there and it is very good. My long distance walks have now taken me through Ironbridge three times. Good to hear the campsite was flexible - good job it wasn't a Caravan Club "no tents" site - they are immovable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ironbridge YHA was excellent - even more excellent because I had an en-suite dorm to myself.
      The Tewkesbury site was a Caravan Club site - but it allows tents too, only the second CC site I've come across that does, the other being Braemar.

      Delete
  3. Well done JJ, not far now to complete phase 1 - send a text if you need a windbreak for the last bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin.... but I'm home, I just haven't updated t'blog.

      Delete
  4. Well done. I hope you enjoyed the hot bath!

    ReplyDelete

Tally-Ho! Whitworth Wander / Turkey Trot 2023

  Whitworth Wander – Turkey Trot, 27 th of a very wet December 2023 In memory of the late Brian Whitworth, a fine man, my friend, and a for...