View from Oban Bothy

View from Oban Bothy

Friday 19 October 2012

23rd September, Via de la Plata, Day 5

To Banos de Montemayor…..or the day of the rain

A fast breakfast of toast and marmalade washed down with coffee set me up for the day’s walk. At 7.30am it was quite overcast but still warm.

Hostal Asturias

Walking north from Hostal Asturias, the first couple of miles were on tarmac but there was very little traffic – in fact I don’t recall any cars passing me. The map shows a railway running parallel to the road – I don’t think too many trains run these days though:

Dr Beeching would be proud

Although the road was traffic-free I was glad to get back on to footpaths. I frequently came across some pretty purple flowers on the paths – a type of crocus?

The wind got up, driving thick clouds around the surrounding hills. Flashes of lightning lit up the clouds, rumbles of distant thunder became frequent – but so far the rain all around hadn’t done anything other than threaten me with a soaking.

imageThis way…maybe

Once again the route was diverted. This time there were very clear signs directing me uphill and into some woodland. I followed the signs and the footpath into thickening undergrowth until a big drop stopped my in my tracks, there was no way I could continue forward. I reckon the well worn footpath only gets used by peregrinos doing exactly the same as me: walking as far as the natural barrier of a 20ft drop and then walking back again.

imagePaprika factory 

I managed to get to a road that would take me in more or less the right direction….and then it started to rain, and boy did it rain! I’d decided to take a lightweight waterproof, my Ron Hill waterproof running jacket. Lightweight and packing into a small stuff bag, this jacket has served me well on wet days when running in the UK. Except it wasn’t man enough to handle Spanish rain.

imageBack on the route again 

imageThe wet

I stayed dry for an hour or so but then I started to get wet. Fortunately the small town of Aldeanueva del Camino hove into view and I leapt into a welcoming bar / restaurant that was doing good business feeding and watering a coach party of tourists.

image The rain got heavier as I downed two cups of coffee and a bacon and cheese bocadillo, thankfully it has eased off when it was time to leave.

Well it eased for a short time, then it hammered down and I got well-drenched all the way to Banos de Montemayor. Oh well, at least the rain wasn’t too cold.

image

The albergue

I eventually found the albergue, the top floor of the local (public) museum. It was quite strange to have Joe Public wandering around the building, examining the exhibits….whilst I was struggling to keep my exhibits concealed as I wandered back from the shower.

 imageThe wet view from the albergue bedroom window

image

image

image

I’ll let you translate this one, I’m getting tired.

The rain continued on and off all afternoon and evening. This was the turning point in the weather, I wouldn’t experience the very high temperatures of the last few days again on this trip.

image

I enjoyed a very nice menu del dia meal in the evening, then it was time for bed. And another meal….but this time I was on the menu.

image….well, it LOOKED clean 

Total distance for the day: around 26km

1 comment:

  1. Autumn Crocus, JJ - probably the same as those that grow on the banks of the Mersey.

    ReplyDelete

Tally-Ho! Whitworth Wander / Turkey Trot 2023

  Whitworth Wander – Turkey Trot, 27 th of a very wet December 2023 In memory of the late Brian Whitworth, a fine man, my friend, and a for...