View from Oban Bothy

View from Oban Bothy

Tuesday 30 October 2012

25th September, Via de la Plata, Day 7

To San Pedro de Rozados

Rising at the ridiculously early hour of stupid o’clock was a struggle but it had to be done.
image
There was another peregrino up and about, a French lady who had crocked her ankle. She was expecting to move slowly, hence her early start.
The breakfast table was set for the peregrinos, I grabbed a couple of cakes and made a butty and at 6.30am (the one in the morning) went on my way into the dark morning.
image Getting light at 7am
image Half an hour later it was fully light
Today’s camino, now coinciding with the GR100, was generally on wide farm tracks which made for fast progress. At the point where the GR100 and GR181 crossed I’d covered 10km and so stopped for a breakfast cake and glug of the finest Spanish Corporation pop.
imageimageI was able to really motor along, the path surface being so good. The only problem was the repetitive nature of walking on flat surfaces caused me to have painful feet. My Meindl walking shoes we getting a bit old but the Vibram soles were showing very little wear. Despite this the soles of my feet were feeling quite bruised.
The scenery on this section hadn’t been particularly inspiring so I was pleased to be moving so quickly. A result of this was that by 40kph (=1pm in English money) I rolled into San Pedro de Rozados:imageFinding the albergue wasn’t quite so easy so a visit to the local bar was called for. As it happened the albergue was owned and run by the bar. A couple of coffees and a bite to eat later I was unpacking my kit and getting ready for a shower.
image
image Unfortunately the gas boiler was seriously (and dangerously) iffy so I ended up with a cold water wash down. Not ideal – but I was clean and I’m still alive.
As the day wore on, more peregrinos arrived. some stayed in the albergue, others opted for more luxurious B&B – type accommodation. My trip was on a budget so the albergue it had to be.
image The albergue dorm – with the dodgy boiler in the bathroom
The weather was deteriorating, ie: it was raining horribly. And it was cooling down. It was now more like a wet Sunday afternoon in Ingerland….a bit grim.
The gathered peregrinos arranged to meet up at the bar in the evening to eat together. Eating, if you hadn’t noticed, is important to me. I enjoy eating. If the size of my girth is anything to go by, I enjoy eating a little toooo much.

I won’t bore you with the gory details of the meal. Oh, okay, I will.
Primaro: A very meaty (and delicious) soup with bread.
Secundo: Yummy chicken with red peppers cooked in olive oil, tomatoes and salad.
Los postres (pudding): Ice cream like wot I’ve never had before.
This lot, along with half a bottle of wine cost me 9€. Not bad at all.
The bar owner / landlady or whatever said she would be open at 7am for desayuno. That’s breakfast to you.

Total distance for the day: 26km – that’s because I didn’t get lost and there weren’t (m)any diversions.

2 comments:

  1. Peregrino... Translates as Odd and Unusual as well as tourists. I think i know which category you all belong to.
    I’m surprised you only did 26k in a day, with boring views, on the flat, with your pace. I thought you would have made Salamanca easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reckon 'Odd and Unusual' fits the bill well - don't you think?
    It crossed my mind that walking straight to Salamanca might just have been do-able but as it happens there was some rough stuff the next day and that would have made 50km in a day just impractical. And quite knackering.
    It was good fun though!
    JJ

    ReplyDelete

Tally-Ho! Whitworth Wander / Turkey Trot 2023

  Whitworth Wander – Turkey Trot, 27 th of a very wet December 2023 In memory of the late Brian Whitworth, a fine man, my friend, and a for...