View from Oban Bothy

View from Oban Bothy

Tuesday 19 June 2018

SatMap problems…again

You may recall my experiences with SatMap: Poor RF performance (poor sensitivity and very slow in recognising satellites), very slow in computing position,  missing sections of mapping – in spite of buying full UK OS mapping (10k, 25k & 50k), the list goes on. And on.

Have a read of my review.

Anyroadup…

I decided to fire the SatMap up today, I’m doing a 50 miles in 24 hrs challenge walk in a few weeks which will involve a night section so being able to refer to the GPX on  1:25k mapping will be more than a bit useful.

I selected ‘Check for Updates’ on SatMap’s website but, well, read the email I’ve sent them:

Hi, I've tried to report the following on your contact page:

Not used my Satmap10 for some time, when I try to check for updates I get: SatSYNC failed to download some files from the Internet. Please check your Internet connection and try again. No problems with my internet connection. Please advise.


It appears that you've banned me from your contact pages, this is the response I've received:

Banned

Due to repeated forbidden requests, you have been temporarily banned from accessing this server.
If you believe you have received this message in error please contact the site administrator.
We apologise for the inconvenience.

I've had huge problems with SatMap in the past (check your records) and these are still ongoing (missing map tiles, poor RF performance) - which is why I ended up buying a Garmin, but this is getting beyond an expensive joke.

Please get back to me and let me know what on earth is going on.

Regards,


I’m awaiting a reply but from past experience I’m not hopeful for a satisfactory outcome. I reckon  my trusty Garmin Etrex20 with be the weapon of choice on the day of the 50 – even though it’s only got OS 1:50k mapping I know it will work.


6 comments:

  1. Sometimes I am glad I am tech phobic, it means staying away from all thing high techy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you have had big problems JJ and you are quite in your right to be a bit angry with the whole aspect of dealing with Satmap who still are causing problems. It’s not on. And banning you access it complete contempt. This is a piece of expensive kit, it needs to work right.
    The least they should do is take it back, check it and load it up with the up to date software and mapping which you have already purchased. Anything less than this is not acceptable. A reason why I won’t be buying a Satmap 12, if this is the way Satmap treat customers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading this, and I now remember your earlier review, I’m impressed by your perseverance JJ. Maybe time to cut your losses, but it might be wrong to dump your SatMap on some unsuspecting purchaser.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. SatMap have offered to sort the device...if I pay them. no offer to sort the missing maps though.
    I'm not keen on throwing good money after bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JJ - I have the 10 (not used now) and 12. Both are very slow to acquire satellites and updating software online never works.I get the same message as you do. However, a few years ago SatMap did send me updates for both devices on a memory card with instructions on how to install the update. Their customer service must have deteriorated and I won’t be buying their latest version if the 12 packs in. Hope you get this resolved soon.

      Delete
    2. I don't expect any further help from SatMap, they've made it clear that they're not interested. I'm not going to bin it (I've invested too much money and time on the damned thing) and in all honesty I can't sell it on - it just wouldn't be fair to a buyer.

      Delete

Tally-Ho! Whitworth Wander / Turkey Trot 2023

  Whitworth Wander – Turkey Trot, 27 th of a very wet December 2023 In memory of the late Brian Whitworth, a fine man, my friend, and a for...