View from Oban Bothy

View from Oban Bothy

Sunday 28 October 2018

4 Days, 100 miles. Part 1

Nijmegen Four Days Marches 2018…In the beginning:

image

July in Holland can only mean one thing: Vierdaagse…the Nijmegen Four Days Marches, when 45,000+ happy walkers from all over the world converge on Nijmegen to go for a bit of a walk.

You understand Dutch (of course) so have a watch of this (there are

English subtitles): https://youtu.be/i3ko1JCnGn0

If anyone can show me how to successfully embed a YouTube video into this blog I will buy you beer.

History of the event is here.

https://www.4daagse.nl/en/event/history.html

I’ve taken part in the event, on and off, since 2006 – it’s great fun!

I flew from Manchester to Schiphol then travelled by train to Nijmegen. Trains, often double-deckers, run on time in Holland, and there are loads of them. And they’re clean. And comfortable. And train fares are definitely affordable: one side of Holland to t’other for less than £20. British train companies could learn a lot from the Dutch.

Day 1: The Day of Elst, 39.6km. Tuesday 17th July 2018

image 

My allocated start time of 5am meant I had to be up and about by 3.30am, time for a decent breakfast and the 2km walk to the start. It was hot, 22degC, even at that time. Many of the good folk of Nijmegen had been partying all night in readiness for the start – they know how to enjoy themselves in this part of Holland!


P1050836

Queueing at the start

P1050838

Being piped out from the start

The Dutch are very fond of Scottish pipers and pipe bands, this piper was just one of many I came across on the Marches – he wasn’t walking the route though!

P1050839

Bridge over the River Waal

A couple for Alan R:

P1050851


P1050854

Times on some of these photographs is an hour behind ‘real’ time, I’d neglected to change the clock on my camera….duh.

P1050859

18 km to go at 9.30am and it was now seriously hot. I was carrying 2 litres of water, I topped that up with 500ml of SiS hydration stuff. It was only just enough.

P1050860

Entering Arnhem at 9.30am

The atmosphere on the Marches is quite unique. walking in the company of 45,000 walkers, a mixture of military and civilians, is something that’s really special – as the Dutch would say.

Every village you walk through celebrates the event, civic dignitaries turn out in their finest regalia, bands play on street corners – it’s a huge party and I love it!

Many rufty-tufty walkers criticise the event as not offering ‘proper’ walking because most of the routes are now on tarmac and, lets face it, Holland is pretty flat! Despite all this, 100 miles in four days isn’t a walk in the park…it IS fun though!

P1050862

I really don’t know…

20180717_101211

In memory of WW2, the Dutch suffered terribly 

P1050868

Flowers - where ever possible

20180717_112747

Time for a breather for those in the know

P1050877

Cavorting with the German Army

20180717_132344

Almost the end of Day 1

I clocked into the event centre in the Wedren around 1pm, 25 miles in 8 hours, including a 20 minute rest stop. I was quite happy with that time, especially considering the heat of the day which was hot. Very hot in fact.

20180717_133017


I wandered back to my accommodation, walking back along the route and cheering the later finishers – the were all (mostly) smiling!

20180717_135649

En-route I called for a quick beer with The Irregulars at a bar in Nijmegen….they recognise the importance of re-hydrating after a long walk in the heat.


After a shower, a good feed and another cold beer, I hit the sack at around 8.30pm. I needed a decent kip before the exertions of the next day and it’s later 6am start.


A few more photos here.


5 comments:

  1. Well done JJ. I would have been daunted by that extra 2km. to aslk to the start. It reminds me of Mick and Gayle who, after walking 16 miles or so, come up with such sentences as "It was only another six miles to So-and-So so we pressed on."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit that the extra distance, whilst fine at the start of the day, was something I could have done without at the end of the day - especially in that heat.

      Delete
  2. Very well done John, exceedingly impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, well done JJ. The 2 images are not unusual sites either in UK or Europe. The red one is a 7 series International Harvestor, probably 743 or 744. The blue one is slightly rarer, the Fordson Super Dexta. Built 1962 to 1964. You also see these as the Ford 2000. They had the same engine as the wonderful Ferguson TE20, old grey.
    One thing that does bug me is that the front grille has those 4 bars. They built them full mesh or with headlight cut outs but I don’t know why they have the bars. They can’t be for protection because the grilles are flimsy and the bars were not part of the nose piece because they were made open to fit mesh grilles. I’m a bit stumped on that point so if anyone knows the story let us know. Thanks .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you'd come up with the goods Alan!

      Delete

Tally-Ho! Whitworth Wander / Turkey Trot 2023

  Whitworth Wander – Turkey Trot, 27 th of a very wet December 2023 In memory of the late Brian Whitworth, a fine man, my friend, and a for...