View from Oban Bothy

View from Oban Bothy

Friday 29 March 2013

Sunday 24th March, A walk to the Wilmslow Half

I last ran the Wilmslow Half Marathon around 4 years ago, when my knees were in rather better nick. A couple of Tally-Ho! lads were running this year so a walk out to Mobberley to watch the race seemed like a good idea.
Rather than walk all the way from JJ Towers I drove to Ashley, just south of Altrincham, and dumped the car there. It was a freezing cold morning and I was glad to be walking and not running.
I walked a path just to the west of Mobberley Brook, easy enough to follow but one or two wobbly stiles (with added barbed wire to add to the excitement) were annoying to say the least.
P1010578 Dangerous stile adorned with barbed wire
I arrived at Four Lane Ends, my chosen vantage point, in time to see the front runners flying through:
P1010579  The race leaders
P1010582
20 minutes later the bulk of the runners were coming through
P1010583The Flying Bananas
P1010589
Somebody talking sense!
P1010594
Tally-Ho!
After the excitement of the race it was time to move off – apart from anything else I was getting cold. My Buffalo is a great garment in cold wind but even that struggled to keep me warm in this biting easterly wind.
Walking east (east is….well, you know) to skirt the south end of Manchester Airport’s Runway Two entailed walking over exposed ground, the easterly wind was strong and absolutely freezing and I needed to don over-mitts and over-trousers to keep warm.
P1010596
The airport was extremely busy, both East Midlands and Leeds Bradford airports were closed due to snow and flights were being diverted to Manchester.
The shelter offered by the River Bollin culvert was very welcome – but I started to get too warm, I needed to open the vents on my Buffalo.
P1010601 River Bollin under Runway Two
Next, Runway One:
P1010604
Ready for take-off
Leaving the airport behind, the walk back to my car at Ashley was mainly over quiet tarmac – in warm sunshine.
Even routes on tarmac can be entertaining if you keep your eyes open:
P1010606What the well-dressed horse should be wearing this season
After the previous day’s abortive trip, this walk was just what the doctor ordered. Not too far at all, easy going, and plenty of interest. It would make a good run. Now there’s a thought.

Around 8 miles and flat as a pancake:

image
More pitchers yur.

3 comments:

  1. I found you through Mark's blog (Beating the bounds).

    I have often been irritated by blocked, diverted, footpaths and broken, barbed wired stiles and the like but never did anything about it. If you look at my recent post: Components of Exploration, 22nd March you will see details of a dangerous footpath. I have reported this to the local authority at , but Googling the local authority of your own area will get you to the people who are supposed to maintain footpaths etc. I have had a reply and the matter is being attended to.

    Due to knee problems I have been reduced to more urban walking over the last year, and like you I have found many things of interest to stimulate the enquiring mind.

    I used to run but not competitively, just for my own satisfaction, and I wore a Buffalo in winter - a brilliant piece of kit.

    Look after those knees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry. Just noticed the link I put in has disappeared. Here it is: http://mario.lancashire.gov.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your very interesting posting. Trafford (my local authority) has a footpaths / rights of way department but the council seems to be terribly under-staffed (under-funded?) so it's quite difficult to get anything done - I'm still awaiting a response from a R.O.W. enquiry from last year!

    As regards knee problems, mine haven't needed the surgery your knees have - yet. I manage some gentle runs on tarmac and on trails but I'm not interested in racing - never have been. The races I've been in have all been a means to and end - if a race is coming up then I'll train for it, otherwise I just take it too easy!

    Cheers,

    John

    ReplyDelete

Tally-Ho! Whitworth Wander / Turkey Trot 2023

  Whitworth Wander – Turkey Trot, 27 th of a very wet December 2023 In memory of the late Brian Whitworth, a fine man, my friend, and a for...