View from Oban Bothy

View from Oban Bothy

Tuesday 26 March 2013

Privatised Search & Rescue Helicopter Service

Just heard on the BBC Radio 4-type wireless midnight news that American group, Bristows, have won the contract to run the UK Search & Rescue helicopter service from 2015.

The service has been provided by the Royal Navy and the RAF for the last 70 years and currently use rather old Sea King helicopters. The service was formed to rescue downed aircrews during WW2.

Having experienced other privatised services, formerly run very effectively by government departments,  I find this more than a little worrying.

Will the aircrews of the new service be paid by results?
Just how much confidence can 'we' have in a privatised service?
Is this the thin end of the wedge - is compulsory insurance going to be needed by hill-walkers?
Does this mean Prince William is to be made redundant?

What do The People think?

4 comments:

  1. Another step to loosing the British identity.

    That would be interesting seeing PW manage on £50 job seekers allowance. (Or what ever it is).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aye, it's a good few years since I've had a lift in a yellow Wessex.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be worrying about the quality of the aircrew. With the existing arrangement we are fairly certain about getting the very best.

    It's good that the new helicopters are far better than the old ones but we could equally have equipped the existing teams with thes machines ourselves.

    I've seen reports (over on Heavy Wallley) that the existing teams were getting increasingly "top heavy" - but surely all that was required was to trim the management structure down so the service becomes once more "competitve"

    I think it's a sad day - and I'm one who generally supports privatisation of most things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, Mr Gnome. You slipped on the ice coming down from Grindsbrook, just by Upper Tor, did you? Good job we were there to pick you up.

    Yes, indeed. I was following the song "Manchester Rambler". Do you know it? But instead of a keeper accosting me, the ice gave way.

    Ahhh. OK. So you like old Ewan MacColl do you? I guess you are a communist as well then?

    Well, no, not really. I do believe in a fair distribution of wealth but I would not go overboard on it.

    Hmmm. I see. Talking of wealth. How much have you got on you?

    Well, sorry, but my wallet fell out of my pocket when I slipped. But I have got plenty in my bank account. Can I pay you when we get back?

    Ha! Joker, eh? Communist to boot. Sorry lad but this privatised rescue copter is on a strictly pay as you go basis. You did say you would not go overboard didn't you?

    I did mention.. What are you do... put me do... Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

    (Unashamedly lifted from a thread on the Mudcat Discussion Forum, posted by my mate Dave the Gnome)
    http://mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=150083&messages=17#3495727

    ReplyDelete

Tally-Ho! Whitworth Wander / Turkey Trot 2023

  Whitworth Wander – Turkey Trot, 27 th of a very wet December 2023 In memory of the late Brian Whitworth, a fine man, my friend, and a for...