View from Oban Bothy

View from Oban Bothy

Saturday 16 June 2018

TGOC 2018, Day 13. To Brechin’s Co-op

In which we saw the sea for the first time

The previous day’s walk had really been the beginning of the end: we’d started the day in pleasantly hilly country but by the time the day was done we were walking through the sterile flatlands of Angus.

It was all a bit sad. My Challenge was by no means over but I knew that now I’d left the wild country my walk to Montrose would be virtually all on tarmac – and flat tarmac at that.

I woke at 7am to the sounds of cussing, swearing and the packing of rucksacks.

image

Keith, wondering what day it was

Keith & Co were away fairly early, they had an appointment at a pub in Brechin, we had an appointment in Brechin too – at the Co-op.

I packed slowly, really not looking forward to the tarmac trudge ahead. There were millions of ladybirds everywhere….well at least five anyway. They’d decided my flysheet looked like a cosy place to chill:

P1050504

The day’s walk was to be virtually all on tarmac so we knew we’d make fast progress. We did move along – but such a featureless route would make time pass very slowly.

As it happened it wasn’t THAT boring. Mike had spotted some features that he wanted to tick off. They were easily accessible from the road: a Standing Stone, Noranside Prison, a Cairn, Killievair Stone, the Brechin underpass, and probably a few others too.

So here went the day, not many words and not many photos either, such was the day’s route.20180523_084554

20180523_084757

P1050505

P1050508

P1050510

In need of some remedial work?

Our ‘lunch-stop’ (more of an elevenses stop really) was enjoyed just off the road, a little way down a farm track. My food supply was running low so I made-do with some muesli, a choccy bar and a mouthful of finest corporation pop.

It was from this vantage point that we spotted the East coast for the first time: Montrose Basin: 

P1050514

11.47am, Wednesday 23rd May 2018: Montrose Basin

After Brechin’s Co-op we magically and mysteriously appeared at House of Dun – a wonderful oasis of peace and tranquility that was first introduced to me by the loverly Brocklehursts on TGOC2012 – where Margaret expertly carried out complex and quite daring foot surgery on the hoof (so to speak)….

A little later another blessed miracle, we appeared in Johnhaven (wot?) in time to spot a couple Challengers wandering about the harbour area: Willem and Leendart from Amsterdam. After we filled them up with huge quantities of tea and pumped them for information on any scandalous activities they may have come across on their Challenge they wandered off, taking their fox with them.

I sneaked a soak in the bath and then we all feasted on a very splendid roast chicken dinner provided by the Knipes of Crook. What nice folks they are.

 Smile 

This was all very lovely, so lovely in fact that we had to wander down to Johnhaven’s pub, The Anchor, for beers to calm our nerves.

A fine end to the day.

20180523_211937

Johnhaven Harbour on the way to the pub

P1050517

Johnshaven Harbour on the way back from the pub.

Not one cuckoo.

Only two* (tame) Challengers….plus a funny-looking fox

*Not counting Keith & Co. They weren’t tame anyway.

9 comments:

  1. Can't resist my own foot surgery story: from my journal:

    1st August 2013 - Day 4 - Severn Way.
    Good news and bad news at Arley tea shop. Yes they did bacon butties, but the lady who makes them would not be there for another ten minutes; anyway it was worth the wait.

    I had been feeling some pain in my little toe so removed footwear and found my sock covered in blood from an incising toenail. Elastoplast, scissors and much dexterity were needed for the surgical operation, creating unexpected interest for onlookers at other outside tables.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch, that sounds pretty awful Conrad!

      Delete
  2. Splendid stuff John. Walking on flat tarmac with no hills or distractions can be tedious. Well done to the both of you. Your photos are of the usual high standard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dawn, but I have to disagree with your comments re: my photos.... :-(

      Delete
  3. Two questions, where did you sneak a soak in the bath? and wasn't it a bit out of your way to go to Crook for a roast chicken dinner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, now that would be telling.... ;-)

      Delete
  4. I've enjoying reading this write-up, JJ. I'm toying with a Kilchoan start (if successful in the draw) and your route either went where I'm thinking of going or to places I've been before. I hope the pub at Kirkton of Glenisla is still a pub as I had very refreshing refreshments there before getting merrily lost on the Cateran Trail!
    After wondering if I'd done my final Challenge, I'm now looking forward to my next one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I knew you hadn't done your last Challenge!
      I chose Kilchoan as my start for a couple of reasons: I wanted a peaceful start (Fail) and I wanted to re-visit Ardnamurchan - I last visited in 1974 (I'm very old y'see). Kilchoan has certainly changed!

      Delete
    2. ... I'm delighted you enjoyed reading it!

      Delete

Tally-Ho! Whitworth Wander / Turkey Trot 2023

  Whitworth Wander – Turkey Trot, 27 th of a very wet December 2023 In memory of the late Brian Whitworth, a fine man, my friend, and a for...