View from Oban Bothy

View from Oban Bothy

Wednesday 2 August 2017

Lleyn Peninsula Backpack, 28th July 2017

Just a few photographs taken last week / weekend whilst backpacking a section of the Wales Coastal Path.

This was a fairly last-minute expedition that worked out nicely – apart from the torrential rain and high winds on the first night. I rather unwisely decided to leave the Akto behind and used the smaller and more crapmed LaserComp – a fine little tent, but I really could have done with a bit more room considering the horrid conditions of the first night.

The Plan consisted of spending the first night at Llandystumdwy (Lloyd George knew my father and all that…), having a bit of an explore in the car the next morning, then leaving the car at Lloyd George’s place I wandered west from near Llanbedrog through Pwllheli (famous for Butlins, the Royal Navy and a fine Wetherspoons pub), Abersoch, Aberdaron and round the end of the peninsula before hopping on a bus back to the car.

It’s an excellent coastline although the Wales Coastal Path wasn’t that easy to follow. The path doesn’t religiously stick to the coast and some of the signposts were ‘misleading’ which made following the route rather difficult at times. also some of the paths and bridleways marked on the current maps didn’t exist on the ground. Nowt new there then. Consequently I didn’t cover the distance I’d planned. no matter, it was very enjoyable.

Water was a problem, the coastal farmland was heavily populated with livestock so rivers and streams were a no-no. A public loo (with a shower!) in Aberdaron plus a couple of pubs and a garden hose came to my rescue. Churchyards, unusually, didn’t have water taps….perhaps because of the higher rainfall levels on this coast.

The coastline is very dramatic and the area warrants another visit….in September actually. The route is yet to be decided but I’d be very happy to re-visit much of what I covered on this trip. Discussions on this matter with the Lucky, Luck’s Dad, Dawn and me are to take place soon.


P1030567


P1030568


P1030569


P1030572

Hell’s Mouth

P1030575


20170731_073150

Boots….but no dead mouse this time

20170729_130802


20170730_134333


20170730_163514


P1030581

Aberdaron

P1030582

An Ultra Marathon had taken place the previous day, a 63 mile trot along the coast

P1030583


20170731_091239


20170731_083928


20170731_100902

Barnsley Bardsey Island

20170731_073450


P1030592


P1030593


P1030597


P1030599


P1030601


P1030602


P1030603


P1030605


P1030607


20170731_104043

Another brew with a view

P1030612


P1030616


Some of these photos are out of order….on account of M$ Windows funny ideas of file management. I gave up trying to re-order them, that will have to wait for another day.

Photographs were taken with my Lumix TZ70 and my Samsung S5 phone.

15 comments:

  1. Well done John, looks a cracking area. Fantastic photos. Am looking forward to September. There may be some swimmery moments!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All familiar stuff for me. I wasn't constrained by the official path, just making my own way shortly before the Welsh Coastal Path was officially opened. Good to see the Laser Comp. getting an airing - mine has been a very faithful friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to stick to the official route but it was frequently impossible - on this section anyway. In spite of this I had a very enjoyable jaunt. It's a lovely route and I'm looking forward to going back for more in September.

      Delete
  3. Excellent pics John, looks a lovely area. It is on my long list of places to visit 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beryl! You'd really love it, I know how much you enjoyed the SWCP so i know you'd enjoy this too.
      Going back for more on 3rd September for a few days....you're welcome to join us ('us' = Lucky, Lucky's Dad, Dawn and me).

      Delete
  4. I've been wanting to do this for a while, just trying to find the time - might be September for me also!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you'll be disappointed - but it's well worth printing these maps out before you go: http://www.walescoastpath.gov.uk/plan-your-trip/free-coast-path-maps/?lang=en
      May see you in September then! :-)

      Delete
  5. Nice one JJ. I'm envious. I haven't done a coastal walk for ages and I'm missing the smells and the sounds that you only get at the sea. Magical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed it Alan, it's cracking route for backpacking - as long as you can get water (of the unsalted kind!)

      Delete
  6. Hmm, Wales without the mountains! It looks beautiful. I love the photo of the butterfly too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind comments Stephie :-)
      Funny you should mention Wales without mountains, the original plan was to backpack inland Lleyn, it was only when I got there and saw the beautiful coastline... reminiscent of the Pembrokeshire coastline and the SWCP.
      It's seriously lovely, so much so that I'm going back with some friends in September to do more of the coastline.

      Delete
  7. Nice pics JJ, and a fine area. We've explored the peninsula quite thoroughly from Porthmadog. Lots of intetesting hill forts. Sue's also planning an Anglesey coast path trip for us - I suspect sans tent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin. This was my first 'proper' visit to the area - I'm quite taken with it. I'll be back for more very soon.

      Delete
  8. I love the Llyn and we were there the same time as you (at Towyn Farm near Tudweiliog). The coast path is indeed poorly signposted in places and a few areas with clearly less than accommodating landowners. Its a superb bit of coast though. Where was the beach campsite?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just got back from my 2nd visit to the Lleyn - I still got lost! The signs are very misleading, such a shame.
      My beach pitch was just to the west of Aberdaron, a small patch of nice flat grass right next to the footpath - it was just big enough for one tent.
      I'll go back again but to a different section. Probably next year now.

      Delete

Tally-Ho! Whitworth Wander / Turkey Trot 2023

  Whitworth Wander – Turkey Trot, 27 th of a very wet December 2023 In memory of the late Brian Whitworth, a fine man, my friend, and a for...