View from Oban Bothy

View from Oban Bothy

Monday 29 April 2013

For those in peril on the sea

It’s dead easy to get side-tracked whilst browsing t’interweb – this happened to me yesterday as I was searching out information on the now defunct College of International Marine Radiotelegraphic Communications, in Brooke’s Bar, Manchester. This was the college where I took my morse test around 1980.
When I was around 12 years old, I would listen to ‘Trawler Band’, that part of the radio spectrum above 2mhz – or 150m in English. I would spend far too much time listening to the ship-to-ship and ship-to-shore radio traffic from the comfort of home. I thought I knew what life must have been like on the rough seas.
That was until yesterday when I came across Sailing with Hunters – a Radio Officer’s memories of life in the fishing industry. It’s fascinating and quite horrific. Give it a read, it won’t take long A bit more wandering around the web came up with some seriously scary images of fishing boats at sea. They’re from the Daily Mail, despite that they’re tremendously good.
Google Image from Mirror website
It could just make you think twice the next time you grumble about the price of fish.

A squeeze key, great for sending fast morse – but I think they weren’t officially allowed to be used on board ships. If a surveyor came on board to conduct an inspection these keys had to hidden away!

5 comments:

  1. Some roller coaster ride that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aye, it would scare the living daylights out of me!

    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting about the Manchester marine college- and scary stuff- happy to say I don't eat fish ;-) I used to enjoy "trawling" what was marked as "marine band" on my old radio.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For someone who regards all science as illogical, and often beyond the bounds of credibility I enjoyed this post. A welcome change from the hills. I read the vivid account from the link you included.

    That second photo looks like an egg whisk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, you've rumbled me Conrad....I thought the egg whisk photo might go un-noticed!

    Thanks for your kind comments.

    JJ

    ReplyDelete

Tally-Ho! Whitworth Wander / Turkey Trot 2023

  Whitworth Wander – Turkey Trot, 27 th of a very wet December 2023 In memory of the late Brian Whitworth, a fine man, my friend, and a for...