View from Oban Bothy

View from Oban Bothy

Friday 1 June 2012

TGOC 2012, The Challenge continues….

Day 5: to Glen Mazeran

The day dawned…..it’s what they do.

Apparently I had missed Mick & Gayle’s departure, they left around 7am I think. Today was to be a relaxed day, wandering through the delightful Monadhliath. Fast walking was strictly out – this was a day to savour.

The ‘A’ Team was now up to full complement, a formidable sight indeed. Leading the assault on the Monadhliath was Denis, loins suitably girded for the operation. Louise was 2nd in command (She had a GPS phone thingy with proper maps. There’s posh for you.). I was rear gunner….well somebody has to do it. I mean, we might have been attacked from the rear by a militant DofE team. Anyway, with TWO figures for me to follow it was less likely I’d get lost.

Previously soggy boots and socks (my undies were now dry so I didn’t need their facility. I thought I should tell you that.) were recovered from Alec & Janet’s drying cupboard. Alec came out of the house with his fiddle and played a tune or two as ‘her with a GPS’ pulled on her boots. Alec and I chatted about musical stuff, I sang a bit of a song, Denis threw something at me to shut me up (it didn’t work), and with a heavy heart we prepared to leave this wonderful oasis.

clip_image002Alec serenading Louise as she pulls on dry boots

Our plans for a prompt departure weren’t going to be thwarted, so at 11.56am on the dot we dragged ourselves away.

The sun was shining brightly as we headed off to inspect Errogie’s immaculate telephone box, maintained to a high standard by the locals. There was something to sit on, flowers (plastic ones, but nice) and books to read. Oh, and a visitors book that we dutifully signed.

clip_image004

Onwards toward some upwards, we dawdled along the tarmac - occasionally having to dive off the road to avoid the odd large lorry. In true Scottish fashion our lovely sunny morning had deteriorated and soon we had to wrap up to avoid onslaughts of wind, rain, snow, hailstones etc. Fortunately, and again in true Scottish fashion, these wintery intrusions weren’t too prolonged.

Louise had intended to post some maps home but was struggling to carry the envelope, use her cattle prods walking poles and still hold map and compass…. I thought it was men who weren’t able to multi-task. I offered to carry the package, promising to post it at the first available post box (in the Monadhliath???).

There came a very loud silence from behind, accompanied by a quiet but polite cough. I had steamed past a post box without posting the maps. Whoops.

I made my excuses (Well I AM old) and we continued on our way.

Leaving the tarmac near Aberarder House a choccy bar and drink break was called for. The sun was shining again and it was a pleasant rest. The tug up the LRT had us gaining height quite rapidly and we were all soon puffing and panting. The LRT followed the Allt Mor to a shooting cabin. Denis and I, in the company of Jon Hancock, had visited here on our 2011 Challenge. It’s a lovely place…..well it was until The ‘A’ Team arrived.

Inside the hut we found Brian and Allan. They were enjoying their lunch in the peace and tranquillity that only such a location can offer. Both were obviously well brought-up chaps, for they were very polite – pretending not to mind our boisterous intrusion at all. Much laughter and jollity followed – late lunches were demolished, chocolate was eaten and much tea was drunk.

clip_image006Louise, Brian, Allan and Denis

A map check confirmed we weren’t near Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. This was a Good Thing. I knew my map of Wales would come in useful.

Leaving Brian and Allan to wonder what the hell had hit them, we trundled off in a sort of easterly ‘up’ direction. The ground was a bit boggy, but nothing that this band of rufty-tufty Challengers couldn’t handle.

This part of the route is lovely. When I went this way in 2011 I could honestly say that Denis’s route over the Monadhliath was my favourite bit of Challenge of all time – not difficult or strenuous, just wonderful.

A couple of km of bog-hopping and heather-bashing took us to another LRT that would guide into Glen Mazeran. Time was getting on and we decided it really would be a good idea to get a shift on – putting tents up in the dark isn’t ideal. Descending into the glen we spotted tents – Peter and the Pieman had found good pitches in the higher reaches of the glen. Peter came over for a quick chat before we left to walk a further 5km to our pitch for the night.

In the gathering darkness we found a suitable pitch, about a mile west of Glenmazeran Lodge. Someone had beaten us to it – a Nallo was also pitched nearby. It was 3 very happy but weary walkers who eventually climbed into their sleeping bags that night. It had been a grand day!

I slept extremely warmly and comfortably.

4 comments:

  1. This is all very well but I am now champing at the bit for the next day.
    C'mon Man!
    Next!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ay up JJ! Nice to be able to track your walks.
    I will have a good read when we get back from Scotland and the Lakes week after next.

    I have now put a link on my site so that others will pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHAT????? No mention of 'base weight', wood burning stoves made out of recycled cardboard, navigation by Ipod, the supremacy of the flip flop as outdoor footwear?????

    Blimey JJ, what sort of outdoor blog is this???

    Good to see someone with a grain or three of common sense enter the arena. More, please! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these mountains, and may well put them back on my next Challenge again before Salmond and his mates bugger them up forever.
    By the way, you should have done the bridge on day 1 you big Jessie :)

    ReplyDelete

Tally-Ho! Whitworth Wander / Turkey Trot 2023

  Whitworth Wander – Turkey Trot, 27 th of a very wet December 2023 In memory of the late Brian Whitworth, a fine man, my friend, and a for...