View from Oban Bothy

View from Oban Bothy

Wednesday 17 June 2020

The Mawdesley Jubilee Trail, 17th June 2020

A Covid-19 expedition



This was two birds / one stone exercise – a drive to Leyland to pick up some bits to repair my (usually) trusty petrol hedge-trimmer, and a short, 8-ish mile walk around a pretty, but flat, area of central Lancashire with Jill – baker of rather excellent chocolate muffins, and triathlete of some fame.
Note to self: need to up my game, scones just don’t hack it against a baker of such expertise.
I collected my hedge-trimmer bits and headed down pleasant rural lanes to the village of Mawdesley, a few miles south of Leyland (home of Beryl the Peril).
The route was one I’d had my eye on for some time, but it was a long way to drive for such a short walk, so when the excuse to do it arose I grasped it with both hands.

There’s not a great deal to say about the route really – It flat, really quite pleasant, there were some waymarks, although not enough not to carry a map, and there’s a car park at the start at Mawdesley Village Hall. Oh, and a wind-farm.
I successfully navigated out of my paper bag the car park and headed out of the village on lovely dry paths. 


About the wind-farm:  well it was a bit little, just 3 wind turbines, planted on what was presumably the highest part of the area. In such a flat expanse the choice of site was, er, limited. Still, their presence shows some enthusiasm for green(ish) energy in the locale.
The day was hot and sticky. Cedar Farm’s goodies shop was out of stock of ice cream – a delivery of the cold stuff wasn’t due in until the following day. I considered waiting, but had second thoughts….




We scooted round the route in around 3½ hours, including an extended scone / chocolate muffin / coffee stop. I didn’t take many photos, no particular reason, I just didn’t

So that was it. Jill had to whizz off to do some swimming and I had to get home to mend my hedge-trimmer and join a Zoom meeting of musicians.
All in all it was an excellent day.
And my hedge-trimmer works again.

The Map:


My route

Viewranger route details.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tally-Ho! Whitworth Wander / Turkey Trot 2023

  Whitworth Wander – Turkey Trot, 27 th of a very wet December 2023 In memory of the late Brian Whitworth, a fine man, my friend, and a for...