View from Oban Bothy

View from Oban Bothy

Thursday 9 January 2020

Christmas Eve Wild Camp, 24th Dec 2019

I managed to escape some of the madness that Christmas has become by a wild camp in the Peak District.

My usual camp spot, suggested to me some time ago by the very excellent Chrissie Dixie, proved to be impractical because of the high winds – so a lower and more sheltered spot was called for.

I wasn’t expecting the wind to be so, er, windy – in fact when I arrived in Edale there was just a gentle breeze, but as I climbed higher the wind got much stronger. After a quick squint at the map I dropped down and wandered up Grindsbrook Clough where I found a lovely flat spot, right next to a water source. Nice.

My tent was up and I was safely and cosily snuggled up in my Akto just as darkness fell. A cheating tea of bread & cheese and Heinz Tomato Cupasoup followed by mince pies & custard (well it WAS Christmas Eve!) sorted out my hunger pangs. 


The evening was spent reading (Laurie Lee’s ‘As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning’) and listening to the Radio 4 type wireless. All was well.







Although it was a breezy, wet night I slept through it all, not waking until 7.30am. After a quick breakfast of porridge and numerous mugs of coffee, I packed up and headed back to Edale and my car. 


I was surprised how many walkers and even runners I met on my walk back to my car. One runner passed me, having run DOWN from Kinder….he must have started early, wherever he came from.

I was back at the car by 10am, and home by 10.45am. Then it was Christmas Day with my family – great fun!

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Dawn, but it doesn't compare to your Christmas expeditions!

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed your report John. Hope you have an excellent 2020 with some great expeditions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to 'hear' from you Neil - I hope you're well! I've got a few little trips planned for the year - including the Challenge of course.
      Are you 'on' this year?

      Delete
    2. No not this year John. I did the WHW last July, after not starting the TGO as I dislocated a rib the day before the start.
      I was hoping to do a long walk from Mull of Galloway back to Shetland this May but have had knee problems, I am awaiting X-Ray results, fingers crossed.

      Delete

Tally-Ho! Whitworth Wander / Turkey Trot 2023

  Whitworth Wander – Turkey Trot, 27 th of a very wet December 2023 In memory of the late Brian Whitworth, a fine man, my friend, and a for...