View from Oban Bothy

View from Oban Bothy

Saturday 1 March 2014

January & February 2014 mileages

A glance at Mick & Gayle’s blog prompted me to tot up my mileages for the first two months of this year…..but I’m afraid I can’t hold a candle to their impressive distances covered.
P1000713Some (most?) of my walks were muddy 
P1000747
Some walks were VERY muddy indeed
P1000751
Whilst some presented some challenging obstacles
P1000729 They walks were all good though: Frank in festive decor, early January. He didn’t come on the walks.

P1000761
I included mileage covered on club runs in my totals
P1000807
P1000809
On the Edale Skyline route in January
P1000766Morecambe Bay dawn
P1000769
A frosty Cumbrian morning

P1000821
Swollen River Mersey, on a walk into Stockport to collect train tickets.
P1000822 On Beryl the Peril’s 17 mile LDWA walk…which in the finest tradition of LDWA walks ended up being 21 miles. But it was dry underfoot!
P1000831
Beryl’s walk: flooded field
P1000841 Beryl’s walk: one (or two) for Alan
P1000843
P1000848
P1000851
Still on Beryl’s walk: t’Tower
P1000844 The delightful Beryl (6th from left) and her loyal band of followers
P1000853
Birdies
image On a different walk, White Nancy
image The audience
P1000738
L – R: Shutlingsloe > Fast Pike > Tegg’s Nose > Croker hill (the tower thingy)
image Winter sunset over Cheshire
P1000859
Dawn: Bewdley, apres-floods
P1000862
Swollen River Severn close to Highley
P1000869 On the Mercian Way. In the dry.
P1000876
Another one for Alan
P1000877 On the Staffordshire Way in the sunshine. And mud.
P1000878
Awbridge, er, bridge
So I HAVE actually been out there. I need to really, I’ve got a big walk coming up.
January: 100 miles
February: 76 miles.
Must try harder.
I’ll do more in March. Honest.
 

12 comments:

  1. Good to read you back on the blog. I passed that same Mercian Way sign going over the bridge south of Hampton Loade on my Severn Way walk last summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Conrad!
      Things have been very busy indeed of late and I'm afraid the blog has had to take a back seat.
      JJ

      Delete
  2. Good to see you are still getting out there JJ. Impressive photos too. Keep up the mileage, spring is on the way, ditto the first hosepipe ban!!!???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dawn, I need to knuckle down to get my fitness level up to something half-decent.
      JJ

      Delete
  3. Just for clarity: the stats on my blog are mine only. Your January mileage blew Mick's out of the water. He worked a trillion hours in January ... and as a result walked fewer than 10 miles! He did rather better in February.

    Am I right in thinking that some of those photos originate from the Carpetbagger's 50? If so, did it go well for you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The photos from the Bewdley at dawn to the the end are all the Carpetbaggers 50 - which was a tough old bugger of a walk, mainly down to the thick mud. Still, it was good fun and an interesting route. I'll add a link to pics of the walk in the next few minutes.
    Tell Mick that he needs to shape himself - he's got a big walk coming up too and he needs to get himself fit!
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done on the Carpetbaggers 50 miles in one day stagger. Well i would have staggered anyway. Thanks for the tractor pics and the sunrise is epic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With all the mud it was more of a sploshy slide than a stagger!
      JJ

      Delete
  6. One Hundred And Seventy Six Miles!!!
    Good Lord, man!
    Steady on; You'll wear those knees out!
    93.5 miles Jan & Feb combined, here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, the knees....that's what the pain is. Hmmm, I'll come up with A Plan. It might involve the pub.

      Delete
  7. Steady on Alan, you'll wear those shoes out. Just 81 miles for me in Jan/Feb combined...
    Good to see you've been active JJ, even if not on the blog. It's quite amazing watching what people get up to while I sit here eating cake and plotting for the summer...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the weather being so awful I really need to get out more....sitting at home dreaming of trips for 2014 isn't doing my fitness any good at all!
      Eating cake helps though - it's building up my glycogen reserves.
      Honest.
      JJ

      Delete

Tally-Ho! Whitworth Wander / Turkey Trot 2023

  Whitworth Wander – Turkey Trot, 27 th of a very wet December 2023 In memory of the late Brian Whitworth, a fine man, my friend, and a for...