View from Oban Bothy

View from Oban Bothy

Tuesday 20 August 2013

Sunday 18th August, Wandering around The Wirral

 

The phone rang last week, it was John B, walks coordinator of the East Lancs LDWA. John was calling to check I was still coming on his walk around The Wirral. ‘Of course’….although I must admit that up until this call I’d had no idea he was leading a walk. Oh well. John always turns out on the Timperley Walkers And Tipplers walks so supporting his walk was the least I could do.

‘Don’t worry, it’s an easy walk, 18 miles and quite flat.’ I’ve heard that one before…..but I’m gullible.

Judith had foolishly agreed to join the group for part of the walk, she had other arrangements for the rest of the day so couldn’t endure the torture the rest of us had to cope with. She’d driven to Parkgate, and leaving her car there, walked over to Hooton to meet us for the 9am start. Then she walked all the way back again.

She had an ice-cream though. So did I. They were good. I can thoroughly recommend ice-creams from Parkgate. If you go to Parkgate you should try one. Or two, there’s a rather large selection to choose from.

I’m not entirely sure where we walked, but it was 21.9 miles with around 1900’ of ascent. Told you I was gullible. It was a nice walk though.

 

P1020572That’s Wales in the distance.

P1020573

P1020574

P1020577

P1020579

Norman surrounded by some of East Lancs finest

P1020583 Walking PAST the pub

P1020587Tea and scones…a bit good!

P1020561

P1020556

P1020562

P1020565

P1020568 Jack Sparrow in Parkgate’s ice-cream shop

P1020569

Leaving Parkgate

Those who know the area (Judith) will note that these photographs are slightly (!) out of order. Confusing eh? Well about as confused as I was about the route! All I know is that the route followed a rather rough figure of ‘8’, starting and finishing at Hooton. And going through Parkgate, where they sell rather good ice-creams.

Did I mention the ice-creams before?

More pics here.

3 comments:

  1. A coastal walk and a disused railway! How did you manage to do 1900ft of up? You should have tried the Ice cream at Parkgate though. I hear its excellent.
    I don’t remember Sunday after my birthday party in the Ape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heaven knows how we managed 1900' of ascent, but two separate Garmin thingies confirmed both distance and ascent to within a few percent.

      I might have to go back to check the ice cream. Parkgate you say? Hmmm..

      JJ
      PS: Happy Birthday!

      Delete
  2. Thursday 29 August - the Harp - 7.30pm - easily accessible from the Parkgate ice cream shops...

    ReplyDelete

Tally-Ho! Whitworth Wander / Turkey Trot 2023

  Whitworth Wander – Turkey Trot, 27 th of a very wet December 2023 In memory of the late Brian Whitworth, a fine man, my friend, and a for...