View from Oban Bothy

View from Oban Bothy

Thursday 29 April 2021

Styal – Ringway 12 mile circular 26th April 2021

My Plan (Ho-ho!) was to be out of the door for around 7.30am to do a 6 – 7 mile brisk walk before breakfast, leaving the rest of the day for important jobs. Like decorating. And gardening.

I closed my front door behind me at 9.20am, so much for plans. It was quite chilly, too chilly for the shorts & T shirt I was wearing. There was still a frost on the part of my lawn that was shaded from the sun. The chill encouraged me to get my finger out and get a move on.

Leaving Heald Green I left the busy main road and joined quiet footpaths – very quiet when you consider how close it is to dense housing.

South towards Handforth, I passed through Outwood Farm, it brought to mind something that might have been dreamt up by Professor Quatermass.


At Styal I called in to have a quick chat with my friend Caroline at her very excellent Primrose Cottage Nursery – if you need plants and stuff like that you’ll do no better than here. Caroline really knows her stuff.


Onwards to Quarry Bank Mill, a National Trust property -  and very popular. As the lockdown restrictions are easing this place is getting busy. I managed to avoid the crowds and continued south to The Carrs on the outskirts of Wilmslow, before turning west to Morley Green – home of the Morley Green Club  - and, er, rather excellent ceilidhs:

Just sayin'






Quarry Bank Mill




Bluebells


River Bollin

For Conrad


For Alan R


North(ish) now, to follow the eastern edge of Manchester Airport. Not much activity – Covid-19 travel restrictions and all that.

Ripe for redevelopment?







River Bollin....again.

Cheshire fencing. I've not seen it outside of the county.



Rubbish dumped on the edge of Styal Village - reported



Back into Styal village ….and just a couple of miles of the dreaded tarmac to home. Oh well.


Where I went: 12 miles of flat pleasantness.

My route ended up a bit longer than originally planned: Home > Heald Green > Styal > Quarry Bank (NT) > The Carrs, Wilmslow > Morley Green > Manchester Airport > Home.

I’d have brought butties if I’d known. 

(Disappointing photos c/o my otherwise half-decent Oppo 72 phone) 

4 comments:

  1. You are doing good John, quite impressive really. Your photos are fine too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dawn, although the photos are down to the good light - pure luck!

      Delete
  2. Very nice walk and pics JJ. Looking at that 40 I probably had a hand in its manufacture. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan, when I spotted it I immediately thought of you!

      Delete

Tally-Ho! Whitworth Wander / Turkey Trot 2023

  Whitworth Wander – Turkey Trot, 27 th of a very wet December 2023 In memory of the late Brian Whitworth, a fine man, my friend, and a for...