View from Oban Bothy

View from Oban Bothy

Friday 16 April 2021

Edale to Chinley 16th April 2021

It was a very last minute decision to hit the hills: at 6.50am I jumped out of bed, 50 minutes later I was running for the train (my first time on public transport for over a year) to head to Edale.

The trains were very quiet, the few passengers on board were, apart from one, wearing facemasks.

By 10am I was heading south to climb up the the heady heights of Mam Tor and Rushup Edge. The sky was blue, the sun shone strongly, but it was chilly – I kept my Velez on for most of the rest of the day.

I initially mis-read this as 'Hardenough Clough'

 


Looking back to Mam Tor from Rushup Edge



 

Not part of the nice view

The views from Rushup Edge were good, apart from a couple of dog-poo bags on the footpath. There’s no excuse for this kind of couldn’t care-lessness, it’s just abdicating reponsibility to the non-existent Dog-Poo Bag Fairy. What sort of people do this?

At the west end of Rushup Edge I headed north up the Pennine Bridleway. I found a nice spot just south of Roych Clough for my lunch – this was the only time I took my Velez off.






For Judith








I followed the PBW to a point just west of South Head where I turned downhill to eventually arrive in Chinley. 15 minutes later my train arrived, I was back home in the late afternoon – just in time for tea.

It was good.

The trains south, beyond Manchester Airport, still aren’t running due to Covid-19, but when they do I’ve got a few routes on my to-do list, including a walk home from Holmes Chapel – I need to get some miles in my legs!

Where I went today: 

Around 9 miles with 1650’ of ascent.

 

2 comments:

  1. Excellent stuff JJ. Good to see you getting the miles in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done JJ. Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete

Tally-Ho! Whitworth Wander / Turkey Trot 2023

  Whitworth Wander – Turkey Trot, 27 th of a very wet December 2023 In memory of the late Brian Whitworth, a fine man, my friend, and a for...