View from Oban Bothy

View from Oban Bothy

Wednesday 20 June 2012

Tuesday, 19th June. To Dunham and back

I’d intended stretching my legs today, but a mixture of parental responsibilities (my parent, not my kids!) and other duties meant that this would be an evening walk.

An emailed enquiry to Rick resulted in a rapid reply – he’d like to go for a walk. And so at just before 7.30pm we met on Park Road in Timperley and made our way to the Bridgewater Canal.

It was a dry evening, if slightly chilly (midsummer in England – what did you expect??) but there were areas of extreme wetness on the canal towpath. Fortunately we managed to keep our footwear relatively mud-free, it was so light we had no problem spotting the claggy bits.

image A still evening on the Bridgewater Canal

Leaving behind the industrial and commercial area of Broadheath we met up with some familiar faces – members of the Cheshire Hash House Harriers, a drinking club with a running problem. They’re a fine bunch that I run with from time-to-time. The CH3 were running from The Bay Malton in Broadheath, a Thwaites pub.

Pleasantries exchanged,we carried on our way in the but it wasn’t many minutes before I heard activity from behind. The cyclist, being a decent sort of chap, had dismounted and was about push on, past us…..when there was a flash of mutual recognition. I clocked this cyclist as yet another Hasher – albeit one who didn’t want to risk his knees and more than he had to, it was John from Knutsford….on his rather nice titanium framed bicycle.

imageJohn from the Hash, his bicycle – and Rick 

John’s a keen cyclist and has a collection of bikes. I was particularly interested in this one as it had belt drive (no chain) and 14 speed hub gear. A really nice bit of kit. But I’ve got enough bicycles, I really can’t justify another one. Can I?

imageThe business bit of John’s bike – note the hub gears and belt drive

We must have spent half-an-hour chatting to John, he set off to get lost on the quiet lanes of north Cheshire, whilst we continued towards Dunham.

imageThe view to the NW from the Bridgewater Canal towpath 

As the sun lowered in the sky it was decision time: should we head for the Vine (Sam Smith’s @ £1.45/pint) or The Swan with Two Nicks that serves 4-5 cask beers from different breweries. The Swan won.

imageThe Swan with Two Nicks

image The selection of beers on offer didn’t disappoint, they also serve TT Landlord

I had a couple of pints of the Coachhouse Brewery’s ale (4.2%), brewed specially for the pub – and very good it was too. Rick, the more abstemious, enjoyed a pint and a half of Greene King Abbot Ale (5%) – he reported that it was good.

A very pleasant hour or so in the pub was spent putting the world to rights, then it was time to leave.

Our route home crossed the River Bollin and then via Dunham Park (NT) and the footpaths across Dunham golf course back into Altrincham.

imageThe Bollin weir at Dunham 

Dunham Park is home to a herd of deer, they’re very tame in the early morning and late evening:

imageThe picture quality’s a bit iffy, I struggled to hold the camera steady, the low light level demanded a slow shutter speed.

imageOne of the deer park buildings

The tracks and paths through the park are easy to follow, especially at this time of year – it was around 11pm and there was still sufficient light. The dense woodland surrounding the golf course wasn’t quite so easy to navigate through…but we survived to emerge on the main Altrincham road near the Devisdale.

Rick guided me through Altrincham and then along paths I didn’t know existed – mind you,I’ve only lived in the area for 30 years so I’ve an excuse.

imageNight-time Altrincham 

I think I rolled in at around 11.30pm, relaxed and pleasantly tired. A walk had done it’s magic once again.

Thanks to Rick for his excellent company once again….now where shall we walk this evening?

Vital statistics:

imageAround 9 miles…with not much up and downery. It’s flat around here.

5 comments:

  1. It’s flat around here.
    No mate it is flat round here.
    It is flattish in places near you :)

    Cool bike that.

    I like a nice canal/river walk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great walk, I do a similar walk myself sometimes starting from my house near the George and Dragon. I've put one of them online here... http://www.trekkingbritain.com/dunhamparkandthebollinvalley.html. I cycle commute along the canal into Manchester every day at the moment and love it. It is a fabulous way to start and finish a working day. Just wish the extension into the city centre was completed so that I didn't have to go on the road at Stretford. Saw a beautiful Heron this morning near the Mersey too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a good ride - Rick and I are walking into Manchester along the canal tomorrow morning. Curry, and perhaps a beer may be involved!

    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. A walk with real ale - sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The walk was excellent, as was the beer. We'll do another one soon I hope :-)

    ReplyDelete

Tally-Ho! Whitworth Wander / Turkey Trot 2023

  Whitworth Wander – Turkey Trot, 27 th of a very wet December 2023 In memory of the late Brian Whitworth, a fine man, my friend, and a for...