View from Oban Bothy

View from Oban Bothy

Saturday 2 June 2012

TGOC 2012 Day 7

Day 7, to Glenmore Aviemore

I awoke in some confusion. This isn’t unusual, I generally blame my advancing years.

It seemed that the Akto might not be well, the flysheet and inner tent were pushed together and only about 2” from my nose. It was also strangely dark – yet bright. Perhaps the previous evening’s libations were taking their toll. A mug of strong coffee might help.

Then there was a funny slidy sound and the Akto changed shape back to something like normal. Investigations were required. On poking my head out of the tent, everything was white. Very white indeed.

clip_image002Snowy Red Bothy

The snowfall must have been quite heavy for my tent was covered in the stuff. Mike had been up early-ish and came over to shake most of the snow off my tent, what a star!

clip_image004Denis emerging

I was quite happy with this situation until a snowball came flying over, fortunately I was quick enough to zip the tent up sharpish. Mike went on his way, as did Peter. Louise and I packed our kit and checked on Denis. Although my intended stop for the night was the Glenmore campsite I decided to have a night of luxury in the Aviemore Bunkhouse.We were now only going as far as Aviemore, a bit of a slog over the Burma Road but no big deal. Denis was taking it easy so we arranged to meet up with him in Aviemore.

I was to find out later that Denis had been down with ‘flu only 2 weeks before the Challenge – I’m surprised he could summon the energy to do as much as he did.

We set out around mid-morning, leaving Denis to pack and meander over to join us later in the day. Actually the poor man was quite knackered and didn’t arrive in Aviemore until late afternoon / early evening. If we had realised there’s no way we would have left him alone.

Once over the big hill it got brighter and perhaps a little warmer. Louise had arranged with her husband to go home for the night – they live not too far away. Her hero of a husband rolled up, chucked us into their car and drove me to collect my food parcel from Glenmore campsite. Up to this point the poor weather had us planning a re-re-route for the following couple of days, probably by Glen Feshie / Glen Geldie into Braemar.

In the meantime I had booked myself into the Aviemore Bunkhouse for a dry and comfy night.

Food parcel collected, we went for a very welcome pint and a bowl of warming soup. That really hit the spot. Louise and husband David went off home, whilst I returned to the bunkhouse to have a shower and generally get sorted.

Smelling (a little) more sweetly I called in to the Cairngorm Hotel where they were offering an all-you-can-eat deal for £12.50. Normally these deals aren’t up to much, the food quality is poor, the service is bad etc. This place was in a different category all together, top quality food and tip-top service….and good beer too.

Familiar Challenge faces began appearing, some came for a pint whilst others ate their fill. I think the diners got the best deal.

clip_image006Well fed Challengers: Allan, Denis, Peter and Mike

At around 9.15pm Denis appeared. He’d booked himself into the hotel, really needing some TLC. At 9.25pm, 5 minutes before the restaurant was due to close, a bedraggled Roger Hoyle appeared at the hotel reception. He’s had a very long day and having walked off his map, had to road walk for miles. The hotel took pity on him, keeping the restaurant open until he’d been very well fed.

clip_image008Roger Hoyle

After a pint and a chat with Denis, Roger and Mike in the hotel lounge, I sauntered off to my bunkhouse for some well-earned sleep. I had a large room to myself that night. It was good to have the space to spread my kit out but quite odd being so isolated from others.

I switched my radio on to catch the BBC R4 midnight news but all I remember hearing were the chimes of Big Ben. Zzzzzzzzzzz

4 comments:

  1. I think you'll find if you go into Design, Settings, Language and Format, you may just be able to set_the_right_time... It's only a little irritating!!
    But, you're getting there.
    At the speed of a gaddering tortoise...

    Write up's good though!
    L

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is weird that on the Thursday night we were camped in a boggy bit of a forest near Loch Bhac and not a sign of any snow. We were only about 40 miles south of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a hint of snow Alan. Aren't you the lucky one!

    We had snow four days in a row, in varying quantities. But I guess JJ will get round to the next day of snow. Soon. Maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember just 1995 my first Challenge with Lucy. We had camped near the Geldie and woke to the same darkness and compressed tent. 6 in of snow on tent that morning.
    In Braemar, none.
    Funny place Scotland.
    Now for the Cairngorms, where the big snow was.
    And we saw hardly any.
    Weird.

    ReplyDelete

Tally-Ho! Whitworth Wander / Turkey Trot 2023

  Whitworth Wander – Turkey Trot, 27 th of a very wet December 2023 In memory of the late Brian Whitworth, a fine man, my friend, and a for...