View from Oban Bothy

View from Oban Bothy

Saturday 18 December 2021

Tally-Ho! Championship 2021 18th Dec 2021

A not very good run for me.

Having suffered significantly reduced lung capacity for quite a while I was more than a bit apprehensive about taking part in the Club’s annual championship race.

I don’t like racing at the best of times, and fortunately (for me) the Club is essentially non-competitive – but the odd race does get slipped into the calendar.

The Championship takes place at the Club’s pre-Christmas run from the Boar’s Head, Higher Poynton. It’s a trail race and generally follows an ‘out-and-back’ route. The plan is to follow the trail to the half-way point, shake hands with the trail-layers, then run back to the start. Then it’s first man back, although there’s also a handicap to even things up.

The handicap committee are beyond reproach and completely void of moral corruption, and anyone suggesting otherwise could find themselves is serious trouble …..although I have spotted the odd Club member cosying up to committee members, buying them drinks etc.

Whatever, no amount of bribery was going to help me today.

The gun went off at 2.30pm but the field soon left mebehind, I just didn’t have enough lung capacity to be able to exert myself, especially on the uphill bits.

After ten minutes I decided to settle down to a brisk jog and put the race to the back of my mind. It was a cold day, but dry and bright.

When I eventually got to the half-way point the trail-layers had left to walk back to the warmth of the pub – of course I didn’t realise I’d arrived at the half-way point, there was nobody there!

I ended up doing a bit of a loop before heading back to the pub. 


Me, running flat out = not very fast at all




Fast Taylor following trail

 



 

David Bell dishing out the awards:



 

The route was lovely, conditions ideal – I just couldn’t hack it.  Not my best day:

 Around 6 miles.

More photos here, including Vinny's excellent contributions.

1 comment:

  1. Well done for having a go and I'm sure it's about more than just the running being, with friends and like minded people.

    ReplyDelete

Tally-Ho! Whitworth Wander / Turkey Trot 2023

  Whitworth Wander – Turkey Trot, 27 th of a very wet December 2023 In memory of the late Brian Whitworth, a fine man, my friend, and a for...