View from Oban Bothy

View from Oban Bothy

Tuesday 8 September 2020

An evening run around New Mills, Tuesday 8th Sept

New Mills is situated in High Peak and is very easily accessible from JJ Towers, and with it being on the edge of the Peak District is blessed with a fair share of good running terrain.

I set off running at around 7pm in gloriously warm and golden sunlight. I passed a solitary dog walker, although the speed that I was running at it was touch and go who passed who!

My route took me from New Mills Golf Club, down to Brook Bottom and on to Strines. From there the track followed the er, railway track and then the course of the R Goyt up to Roman Lakes just south of Marple.

Roman Lakes, BTW, has absolutely nothing to do with Rome or Romans. It’s a pretty area that’s quite popular with day visitors….or it was until Covid-19 closed so many public attractions.

Turning to head east-ish then south saw me heading back to my car via The Banks and Brook Bottom to rejoin the outward leg of my run.

It was dark when I got back to the car but it had been a pleasant evening’s stretch, even if I was running very slowly – at least I got out ( and away from my whiffy kitchen that was smelling of home-made chutney).

I’ll be returning to the area, it offers nice running, good access to the Peaks, and the town of New mills is really rather lovely. And it doesn’t smell of chutney.

My kind of place.






The Fox at Brook Bottom



Looking over to Manchester


High Cliff

 

Where I went: around 5 miles of up and downery:

 

Even more photos here.
 

 

5 comments:

  1. That would have been "my kind of run" a fee years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quite lovely, I'll be returning to the area - I can be there in 30 minutes from here.

      Delete
  2. Well done John, looks a beautiful evening :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a gorgeous evening, I really enjoyed the last mile or so that was in the dark.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful, good to see you getting out. Cracking photos too

    ReplyDelete

Tally-Ho! Whitworth Wander / Turkey Trot 2023

  Whitworth Wander – Turkey Trot, 27 th of a very wet December 2023 In memory of the late Brian Whitworth, a fine man, my friend, and a for...