View from Oban Bothy

View from Oban Bothy

Monday 13 July 2020

New Mills 'Running'. Ho ho.

The Plan (it’s always good to have A Plan, just ask Baldrick) was to have a bit of an explorative trot from New Mills Golf Club with a view to coming up with a route for Tally-Ho!

I’d plotted a couple of routes on Viewranger, the first route looked okay: 9 miles, around 1250’ of ascent and all on what appeared to be good tracks and paths. 

It just goes to prove how important a recce is.

The sun shone very hotly, bity flying things were out in force. On reflection it was a daft decision to undertake a run in the middle of such a day. Early morning would have been better.

Much of the route was navigable but some of the surfaces were very difficult to run on. Some of the dense undergrowth made it almost impossible for me to see where my feet were landing. I managed to stay upright. Mostly.

A couple of re-routes, some stops & starts to check the map, take photos, admire the views, swat biting insects, etc all conspired to slow me down. Oh, and being more than a bit out of condition.

Whatever, it was a good couple of hours of run / walking – and great to be out in the hills again.

My intended 9 mile route:

Where I actually went, around 7.5 miles:

Oh well.

Anyroadup, some photos from the 'run':

Kinder Scout




Oh yeah?
 
A great running surface...but a bit boring

Windybottom door for Rob P
 

The River Goyt



The route went through Linnet Clough Scout Campsite:
 



 Manchester on the horizon

A good number of footpaths weren't signed, mostly those crossing private property. I wonder if any of these paths will become subject to requests for them to be extinguished. In order to register my use of those paths I've reported the signpost issue on the very excellent Fix my Street.

When I arrived home my first stop was my medicine cupboard to grab the antihistamine cream, my insect bites were ragingly itchy! 

9 comments:

  1. I went to Linnet Clough for a Scout camp as a young 'un, a week I think.

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew the campsite by name but I had no idea where it was until yesterday - it's not even marked on the OS map.
      Maybe it's a front for a secret M.O.D. installation!

      Delete
    2. We only went once. Transport was a grey ex-GPO Commer van with sliding doors. Trips out included the Blue John Cavern. Happy days. There are probably some black & white photos somewhere...

      Delete
  2. The bridleways are well used by MTBs. There are a myriad of footpaths in that area, many of them used by Stockport Walking Group on their evening walks etc. Hopefully they will remain in use. I'm in this week if you fancy a coffee, and cake (before I eat it all!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin, I may well do that - eating all that cake yourself isn't good for a chap!

      Delete
  3. Well done John, good to see you out and about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely to *be* out and about Dawn!

      Delete
  4. I presume that statue is of BP? Don't tell the statue removing nuts. I have a lot to thean the Scouts for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scouting strongly influenced me in my youth - it still does even now.
      Whatever BP was guilty of, his creation of the Scout movement was one of the great success stories of the 20th century.

      Delete

Tally-Ho! Whitworth Wander / Turkey Trot 2023

  Whitworth Wander – Turkey Trot, 27 th of a very wet December 2023 In memory of the late Brian Whitworth, a fine man, my friend, and a for...