View from Oban Bothy

View from Oban Bothy

Sunday 28 December 2014

28th December, Black Lake, Lindow Common

Sunset today

imageI went out for a much-needed brain-straightener this afternoon and found myself wandering around Lindow Common on the outskirts of Wilmslow.

The name Lindow is derived from Llyn Ddu = Lake Black. The lake shot to fame in 1984 when the preserved body of a man was discovered by commercial peat cutters. The word on the street is that Pete Bog / Pete Marsh / Lindow Man may well have been a sacrifice of some sort. His body has been carbon dated to between 2BC and 119AD – so he’s quite old.

8 comments:

  1. I've never been there but I'd like too. A great view!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely place, well worth a vist - and not too far for you I think!

      Delete
  2. Hi JJ. Thanks for your email. Your blog is not boring, I've added it to the list on my sidebar. I should do more walking but an elderly dog is stopping me getting out as much as I would like. I want to do another long one in the spring. Not getting any younger, need to do it now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I take it you filled the Holts card then! ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got one filled in although not cashed it in yet. I'm well on with the next one. On John Willie's tonight.

      Delete
  4. Strueth JJ, that is even older than me!! Lovely photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How old did you say you were???
      ;-)

      Delete

Tally-Ho! Whitworth Wander / Turkey Trot 2023

  Whitworth Wander – Turkey Trot, 27 th of a very wet December 2023 In memory of the late Brian Whitworth, a fine man, my friend, and a for...